Friday, October 27, 2017

Week 5 blog forum



So far in this book Lynsey Addario has taken on many challenges and showed a lot of heart. Lynsey is very passionate about her work. As a woman photojournalist she is also determined to make lasting impression on herself in a male dominated field. Two things that have made an impression on me is that she is able to go outside of her comfort zone in order to do the things she would like to do in photojournalism, and how brave she is to take on such a tall task and challenge. There are many things which I have learned from Lynsey that I can apply to Photojournalism. A lot of time I am a little timid when shooting, but the bravery and willingness that Lynsey portrays inspires me to go in and be aggressive rather than passive as a photographer. I can do this by asserting myself into the scene early, instead of waiting on the outsides waiting for something to happen. Lynsey makes many personal sacrifices and she is so invested, that she risks her life in order to make a name for herself and do what she loves to do. My favorite quote thus far would probably be "Friendships form fast in war zones" (pg119). I never really thought of it this way but this makes a lot sense. In such a crisis its crazy that this violence in a way also comes peace. This goes for both journalists which Lynsey was talking about, as well as soldiers. My favorite photo is the image on pg 129 of the U.S. Marines who are collectively shaving in from of Saddam's Presidential palace. I like this image because it shows a different side that you may not always see. It shows the men all together with all their gear and belongings but they seem rather relaxed and shaving as a unit. This also goes along with and further proves the quote I used above.

No comments:

Post a Comment