Saturday, November 11, 2017

week 7 forum questions

TOPIC 1: SHOOTING SPORTS --

  1. A couple tips that stood out to me from Karl's presentation was first, knowing your subject. He talked about how he was familiar with the Oregon State football team from their personnel to their playbook. This helped Karl in capturing such great photos because he was able to position himself in a spot where he was most likely to get a good action shot instead of just having to guess what was going to happen and where. Another thing that I was able to take away was to stay away from looking at your photos while there is still action going on. One thing that Karl said was able to separate him from some of the other photographers was being patient, and continuing to shoot instead of checking your camera to see how your other shots look. It is very easy to look down and check your photos but this is how you miss sometimes even the best shots like players celebrating and all the aftermath of what just took place.
  2. I can use both of these things I learned from Karl in my upcoming sports/action assignment. The first tip is knowing my subject.I will be able to pretty easily implement this for my project. Since I am shooting my basketball team, which plays in the timberhill athletic club league, I am already familiar with all the players and what they like to do on the court. Ill know which players drive, which players are likely to be shooting 3s, going for rebounds etc. For the second tip, its just a matter of discipline and remembering. Ill be able to look at my photos either after the game or at halftime, so I got to just remind myself that there is no real benefit at looking through my photos right away.

TOPIC 2: ACTION/SPORTS PHOTOS -- Now that you've got some tips on how to shoot action ...


  1. My subject for this assignment is going to be a Timberhill rec league basketball game, which my team plays for
  2. This is going to take place at Timberhill Athletic Club in Corvallis, Or on Wednesday November 15th
  3. Ideas for:
    1. OVERALL -- A wide scene of the basketball court where you can see most of the players. Ill try and shoot this at a time of high action where every player is doing something like after a shot goes up
    2. MEDIUM -- I can make one player the main focus while still having a good portion of the half-court set still pictured. So an example would be a player shooting a jump shot with defensive pressure
    3. CLOSEUP/DETAIL -- Players on the bench resting. Could be celebrating, hydrating, communicating with teammates.

No comments:

Post a Comment