Sunday, November 19, 2017

Week 8 blog forum


Now that I have almost completed "Its what I do" by Lynsey Addario I am able to really grasp the message conveyed in the novel and give a accurate reflection. As the book goes on Lynsey continues to face many roadblocks, and challenges but she continues to push through no matter the circumstance. She is able to go outside of her comfort zone and continue to document events going on in such chaotic places. So far through part 3 and 4 the 2 most compelling chapters in my opinion are chapter 12 and chapter 9. Chapter 12, a chapter I really enjoyed reading, also stood out to me the most. This chapter really illustrates the hardship Lynsey goes through and the true danger she is involved in. In this chapter Lynsey discovers that a fellow photographer and  friend of hers Tim Hetherington was killed by an air strike. This was very eye opening to me because it made me realize just how routine death was in these circumstances and while Tim was Killed it very easily could have been Lynsey in that exact situation. This chapter showed me once again just how brave Lynsey was, and how even in circumstances like these which are unimaginable she continues to push forward. In chapter 9 Lynsey talks about what might have been her deadliest assignment. Lynsey along with  photojournalist Elizabeth Rubin stopped at camp blessing in the tech river valley, where they saw first hand taliban fighters under attack being burned to death. This chapter just like chapter 12 shows the brutality of the environment. In this book Lynsey has taught me to tackle tall tasks. This is something that is pivotal as a photojournalist. 

One quote that was interesting to me in chapter 12 was
 "For the first time I felt the weight of the years of accumulated trauma. Perhaps it was because I realized how precarious life was and how arbitrary death was" pg 245
In this quote Lynsey is able to stop and take a look at life through her experiences and see really how inevitable death was and that nothing should be taken for granted. 

My favorite photo was from the tacloban series. The photo was of a large group of people mainly who were young kids all gathered around to get some food. There was a lot of raw emotion captured in this photo from a young boy crying to another smiling. What was most shocking to me about this is in one of the bowls there was only a few grains of rice





No comments:

Post a Comment